Juno-nominated Carly Rae Jepsen this week released the video for “Tonight I’m Getting Over You.”
The year 2012 was a great year in pop music. Although dance (and dance-like songs) still ruled the charts, this year also saw the re-emergence of other genres — RnB saw a boost with Frank Ocean, The Weeknd and Miguel, while the success of Carly Rae Jepsen and Ellie Goulding allowed more traditional pop music to be in the forefront once again.
Before we welcome 2013, here’s my list of the top 21 singles of 2012. Last year, I listed my top 11, but there were lots of great songs this year that I had to expand my list to 21.
21 – “Your Body” – Christina Aguilera
Aguilera’s ‘comeback’ didn’t exactly happen, but I still loved this flop. Reminiscent of Aguilera’s Dirty era, “Your Body” is a filthy, fun pop song.
20 – “Where Have You Been” – Rihanna
Although it sounds like “We Found Love” part 2, Rihanna’s “Where Have You Been” is an instant classic. With Ester Dean, Dr. Luke, and Calvin Harris all having a hand at this song, it’s no wonder radio ate this up. The lyrics and the infectious instrumental breaks are irresistible.
19 – “Never Close Our Eyes” – Adam Lambert
I’m still confused why Lambert’s sophomore album flopped, but that doesn’t change the fact that he had some awesome tunes. “Never Close Our Eyes” has a concept most of us are familiar with — it’s about dancing the night away because life is short — but Lambert’s unique vocals and confident delivery really did it for me.
Nominations for the 55th annual GRAMMY awards were announced tonight, and indie acts dominated the lists.
Critical fave Mumford & Sons and breakout artists Frank Ocean and Fun. lead the pack together with Kanye West, Jay-Z, and The Black Keys’ Dan Auerbach with six nominations.
Carly Rae Jepsen’s new album Kiss has to be the most feel-good pop album of 2012 so far.
The 17-track LP is full of light pop songs — think ”Call Me Maybe” done 17 different ways — all equally as sweet and adorable.
For her next single, Carly Rae Jepsen has chosen an 80s-inspired ear candy. “This Kiss” isn’t quite as catchy as “Call Me Maybe”, but the pop track is charming, light and singable.
Carly Rae Jepsen’s sophomore album Kiss his stores September 18th.
Pop Music Updates – August 8, 2012
- Beyoncé is working with Diane Warren again. Their previous collaboration is the ballad “I Am Here”. Not bad news, but I’d like to see Sasha Fierce back, to be honest.
- Pink’s upcoming album will include a collaboration with Eminem. And Eminem is working with Lady Gaga. Personally, I’d rather see Eminem work with Rihanna again.
- Ne-Yo says Trey Songz is part of the reason why RnB is in decline. This is coming from the dude who’s been churning out dance-pop hits lately!
- Lady Gaga’s new album will be titled ARTPOP — and she wants you to use ALL CAPS when you type it. I was disappointed with her last album, but I really hope this one’s not too bad.
- Carly Rae Jepsen’s album Kiss to drop next month. I’m ready to be slayed!
- LA quintet The Neighborhood releases debut EP I’m Sorry. Watch their new video “Female Robbery” on their website. Their sound is pretty haunting — rockish, but still kinda rhythmic. Very promising, I think!
Drop me a line if you have a scoop!